Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Last Day at Home

Well it's almost here. Tonight is the last night I quasi sleep in my own bed. (The real one is in storage somewhere. The joy of being a vagabond.) I'm spending the night in Lexington tomorrow before I wake up bright and early in the morning and fly to San Fransisco at 7am. Well I guess its time to get everyone up to date.

In mid April, I was finally medically cleared. But that's not the end of the vaccinations. Once I get there, I will be given 5 more series of shots (Hep A, Hep B, Rabies, Typhoid, and Meningococcal) if I haven't received them already.

Staging for Mongolia will take place on May 29 in San Fransisco at the Parc 55 hotel. It will be an evening full of ice breakers and expectations. We will then leave the hotel at 5am the following morning for a flight that leaves at 11am... At least we get a 5 hr layover at Incheon International Airport in Seoul, South Korea before we get to Ulaanbaatar.

So once upon a time, I said I would post my resume and aspiration statements (what I had to send in once I accepted the invitation to join the Peace Corps). You'll find them after the break.

Resume:

Samuel Cohen Sosa
Address
Phone Number/Email
Mongolia
May 29, 2014

EXPERIENCE

·         Youth Conservation Corps Crew Leader, US Fish and Wildlife Service
o    Supervised 6 YCC crew members in work projects designed to meet refuge needs and illustrate conservation practices
o    Created conservation awareness while teaching wildlife habitat management techniques used to fulfill the mission of the NWRS
o    Provided supervision, technical guidance,  and direction in all phases of field projects including trail/road maintenance, fence repair, brush clearing, basic construction and carpentry, general cleanup activities, boundary marking, etc
o    Reported daily on the status of work, enrollee progress, and equipment/supply needs
o    Assisted in the educational portion of the enrollees work day by making presentations and demonstrating environmentally sound work methods 
o    Instilled ethics and work place professionalism
·         Biological Science Technician, US Fish and Wildlife Service
o    Determining appropriate use of commercial and recreational activities on NWR
o    Determining compatibility of commercial and recreational activities on NWR
o    Connecting youth with nature by guiding minority youth summer camp while exploring wildlife observation, ecology, biology and NWRS mission
o    Connecting youth with nature through mist netting bats to introduce youth to non-game species
o    Development of visitor services plan for future trails and environmental education kiosks
o    Preparing youth fishing rodeo by accessing fish populations
o    Conducting youth fishing rodeo to introduce 65 youth to one of the Big Six activities
o    Packed and prepared gear, food and other items necessary for a remote field camp
o    Lived and worked in an extremely isolated, remote field camp with primitive living conditions
·         Boy Scout Summer Camp Instructor, Boy Scouts of America
o    Taught 150 scouts over a period of five weeks the following merit badges: Environmental Science, Soil and Water Conservation, and Bird Study
o    Lived and worked in a remote environment with primitive living conditions
o    Performed general camp maintenance
o    Promoted connecting people with nature by organizing and running a weekly nature themed scavenger hunt
·         Front End Supervisor, The Kroger Co.
o    Helped with customer relations by providing fast service with returns/refunds and miscellaneous products: Kentucky lottery, tobacco products, Western Union Money Transfers and Ticketmaster tickets
o    Supervised 30 Cashiers/Baggers by helping with any problems and ensuring breaks/lunches are on time
o    Helped train associates with checklanes/U-Scan and front office computers
o    Assisted with various local and regional outreach projects such as the March of Dimes and Fire Safety Awareness
·         Other Experiences
o    Organized and ran a blood donation event at a local high school in conjunction with the American Red Cross
o    Organized and ran a coat drive for local food pantry recipients
o    Assisted with running a local food pantry

EDUCATION

2008 – 2012         College of Agriculture, Interdisciplinary Program
                                University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40502
·         B.S., Bachelor of Science Degree, Natural Resource Conservation and Management        
          Minor: Biology


TRAINING

·         First Aid Training                                                                         American Heart Association   June 2013
·         Adult and Child AED Training                                                  American Heart Association   June 2013
·         Adult and Infant CPR Training                                                American Heart Association   June 2013
·         The No Fear Act Training                                                          USDOI                                         2013
·         Ethics Orientation                                                                        USDOI                                         2013

FOREIGN LANGUAGES

  • Spanish – 3 semesters in High School both Instructor taught and Independent Study

PERSONAL INTERESTS/HOBBIES

·         Hiking
·         Camping
·         Environmental Activism
·         Sustainable Living
·         Traveling
·         Sports


Aspirations:


ASPIRATION STATEMENT
Samuel Cohen Sosa
Mongolia
May 29, 2014
A.      Three professional attributes that I plan on using is my work ethic, self-motivation, and my ability to solve problems. I have a very strong work ethic often telling my supervisor there aren’t enough hours in the day. On several occasions I have worked 12+ hours a day monitoring endangered species and preparing roosting cavities. Something that goes along with my work ethic is when I start working on a project, I want to continue to work on it until it is finished. This could mean I work for several days to make sure a file on ArcGIS is up to date and ready to be plugged into a bigger program or working for several weeks removing invasive bamboo using a pair of loppers. I am self-motivated, starting projects that haven’t necessarily been assigned to me. I have often taken charge of projects at the very start such as working on miscellaneous projects that need to be completed such as rehabbing body grip traps and creating water control structure board holders. I can come up with several ideas on how to accomplish the job.

I think these attributes will help me throughout my service by hopefully providing me with a sense of accomplishment knowing I have done everything I possibly could to try to assist the people I will be living and working with over the next two years. I want to set a good example for the youth I will be helping and hopefully give them a positive role model.
B.      I want to try to learn Mongolian as quickly as possible so I can provide a good first impression within the community I will be living and working. It is often hard to overcome a bad first impression and if I know the language it will be a big step in the right direction. I have found it is easier to ask for help once you have helped someone than to blindly ask. One of the strategies I plan to use with working effectively with host country partners is helping with the partners during one of their projects in the beginning and every so often throughout the service. It will help me get to know the partners more and give the partners a chance to know me and what I plan on doing. I plan on asking for assistance, either by asking questions or asking for bodies, throughout my service.
C.      One of the things that make the USA a great country to live in is the melting pot of cultures. Throughout my life I have celebrated several cultures by having parties and learning about different cultures throughout school and religious activities. The biggest takeaway I have from all those experiences is to get out and experience the culture. When I arrive in Mongolia, I want to experience Mongolia as soon as the plane lands. While there is the inevitable culture shock, I think the best way to adapt to a culture is to talk to the people and share their culture.
D.      I think the most important skill I want to learn from my pre-service training is learning Mongolian. This will help me tremendously in connecting with the people within my community. I also would like to know how to better connect with children. While adults may be intimidating for children (depending on the age), I want to learn how to effectively communicate with them and encourage participation long after I have left. On the same note, I want to learn skills on how to encourage adults to take an interest in what their children and others. The biggest role model for children regardless of age is their parents. It is going to be imperative to teach parents to be not only a positive role model but a source of positive encouragement.
E.       I believe my service in the Peace Corps will influence my personal life by providing one of the biggest challenges I have faced. This experience will help me to not take things for granted and will instill a larger sense of responsibility within my own community back home. I believe my Peace Corps service will influence me professionally by helping me communicate with people. I plan on continuing to be in a natural resource related field after my service and one of the biggest ways for people to learn is by encouraging participation from the public. I want to help make people care for the environment before it disappears.

No comments:

Post a Comment